Auditions are held throughout the year in both Canada and the United States.
Application deadlines are three days prior to your preferred audition date.
Currently scheduled audition dates are:
TORONTO: November 21
NEW YORK: November 22 -24
Each year, OOTA selects fellows in the areas of directing, conducting, coaching, production and arts administration. Directing Fellows serve as Assistant Directors for OOTA mainstage productions and School Tour.
Coaching Fellow’s serve as rehearsal pianist for OOTA mainstage productions and School Tour, providing artist coaching as needed, and playing for concerts and outreach initiatives.
Fellowship candidates are currently involved in or have recently finished graduate degree programs or paid young artist residency programs.
- Fellows receive a weekly stipend ranging from $500-$750 CDN based on professional experience, as well as billet housing during their time with OOTA.
- To express your interest in OOTA’s fellowship opportunities, please contact Abra Whitney, General Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Each season’s repertoire is selected based on the artists heard in the annual tour.
Applicants for the Young Artist Program must be between the ages of 18 and 35 years old.
Citizens of all nationalities are encouraged to apply. Work visas are not required for non-Canadian citizens.
Deadlines: Incomplete or late applications will not be accepted.
Please only apply for one tier of the program. If we feel you are more competitive for a different tier, we will notify you.
Fees: The Application Fee is $75 for Young Artists. The Application Fee is non-refundable. If you are currently participating in a paid young artist residency program, the application fee will be waived. There will be a $25 pianist fee required at the time of auditions.
Materials: Required materials for all artists include a headshot and resume.
Cancellations: If you need to cancel due to illness, please notify us at email@example.com
Conflicts: If you are unable to keep your assigned time, you may arrange a mutual swap with another singer. Both of you must email firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm this swap.
If you are unable to keep your assigned time, please email email@example.com. You will be placed on a wait list for your preferred date and time, and we will contact you in the event that there is an opening.
- Three arias of contrasting languages and styles, and one musical theatre selection.
- You will begin your audition with an aria of your choice. An additional selection may be requested.
- Be prepared to play and sing a selection from each of the categories below. Your selections must include one Italian, and one in either French or German. (Other languages allowed but not required)
- Aria or ensemble from a Mozart opera
- An accompanied recitative
- A brief secco recitative excerpt
- An ensemble or scene from a 19th-century opera
- A brief excerpt of any type from an opera written since 1940
- One other opera or musical excerpt of your choice
- Sight-reading will also be included in the audition
- Interviews will be scheduled during the audition tour or by Skype.
Please bring two copies of your résumé and two copies of your audition repertoire list, as well as music for the pianist to your audition.
An accompanist will be provided for all auditions. There will be a $25 pianist fee required at the time of auditions.
We are not able to arrange pre-audition rehearsals with the pianist.
Young Artists and Fellows
Young Artists and Fellows receive a weekly stipend ranging from $500 to $750 CDN, as well as billet housing.
Opera on the Avalon
78 O’Leary Avenue
St. John’s, NL, A1B 2C7
(709) 738 1322
We respectfully acknowledge the territory in which we gather as the ancestral homelands of the Beothuk, and the island of Newfoundland as the ancestral homelands of the Mi’kmaq and Beothuk. We would also like to recognize the Inuit of Nunatsiavut and NunatuKavut and the Innu of Nitassinan, and their ancestors, as the original people of Labrador. We strive for respectful relationships with all the peoples of this province as we search for collective healing and true reconciliation and honour this beautiful land together.