Each season’s repertoire is selected based on the artists heard in the annual tour.
Applicants for the Young Artist Program must be between the ages of 18 and 35 years old.
Citizens of all nationalities are encouraged to apply. Work visas are not required for non-Canadian citizens.
Deadlines: Incomplete or late applications will not be accepted.
Please only apply for one tier of the program. If we feel you are more competitive for a different tier, we will notify you.
Fees: The Application Fee is $75 for Young Artists. The Application Fee is non-refundable. If you are currently participating in a paid young artist residency program, the application fee will be waived. There will be a $25 pianist fee required at the time of auditions.
Materials: Required materials for all artists include a headshot and resume.
Cancellations: If you need to cancel due to illness, please notify us at email@example.com
Conflicts: If you are unable to keep your assigned time, you may arrange a mutual swap with another singer. Both of you must email firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm this swap.
If you are unable to keep your assigned time, please email email@example.com. You will be placed on a wait list for your preferred date and time, and we will contact you in the event that there is an opening.
- Three arias of contrasting languages and styles, and one musical theatre selection.
- You will begin your audition with an aria of your choice. An additional selection may be requested.
- Be prepared to play and sing a selection from each of the categories below. Your selections must include one Italian, and one in either French or German. (Other languages allowed but not required)
- Aria or ensemble from a Mozart opera
- An accompanied recitative
- A brief secco recitative excerpt
- An ensemble or scene from a 19th-century opera
- A brief excerpt of any type from an opera written since 1940
- One other opera or musical excerpt of your choice
- Sight-reading will also be included in the audition
- Interviews will be scheduled during the audition tour or by Skype.
Please bring two copies of your résumé and two copies of your audition repertoire list, as well as music for the pianist to your audition.
An accompanist will be provided for all auditions. There will be a $25 pianist fee required at the time of auditions.
We are not able to arrange pre-audition rehearsals with the pianist.
Young Artists and Fellows
Young Artists and Fellows receive a weekly stipend ranging from $500 to $750 CDN, as well as billet housing.